On a cold and snowy day like today in New York City, your mind can’t help but wonder about what some of the best ways to stay nice and warm might be. Our neighborhood expert agents came up with our top five, which we think will surely bring a little warmth to your day. Can you think of any others?
1. Tropical Escape. This has got to be one of the best spots to try on an insanely cold and snowy day like today: the Tropical Paradise exhibit at the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. The Victorian-style glass house instantly transports visitors to a rainforest filled with exotic plants—and, most importantly, warmth! Running now until February 23rd, this is the perfect way to escape the cold and enjoy nature.
The New York Botanical Garden
2900 Southern Blvd,
Bronx, NY 10458
Children 2–12: $10
Children under 2: Free
2. Hot Chocolate! What’s better than snuggling up with a delicious cup of hot chocolate on a blistery cold day? Try a cup of Jacques Torres’ hot chocolate. It is sure to make you never want to ingest another packet of instant chocolate ever again. Made with freshly melted chocolate, two percent milk, and lots of love, it comes piping hot and creamy at the famous chocolatier’s DUMBO location.
62 Water Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
3. Some exercise? Try staying warm with an invigorating 90-minute session of yoga—that’s Bikhram Yoga. At the Bikhram Yoga Bronx, sessions are held in a balmy 104 degrees with 40 percent humidity. That reportedly gives you the added benefit of working your muscles on a deeper level. The class will have you not only toasty to the point of sweating, but feeling reenergized and refreshed.
Bikhram Yoga Bronx
Bronx, NY 10463
4. Really crazy hot wings. Atomic Wings is known for its variety of super-hot hot wings that have New Yorkers scrambling for more. The owner claims to have introduced hot wings to New York City in the 1980s after he learned the secret regional recipe that was only found in Buffalo, New York. Well, regardless, the wings have been a hit, and customers gleefully confirm their heat quotient as they quickly return for more. Atomic Wings has several locations throughout New York City, and they offer vegetarian options too—including wings. With selections such as hot, abusive, nuclear, and suicidal to choose from, these will no doubt warm you up. How can one possibly resist them on such a cold day?
Atomic Wings Tribeca (for Vegetarian wings)
311 Broadway (between Duane & Thomas),
New York, NY 10007
528 9th Ave, New York, NY 10018
5. A nice deep facial. The cold weather ruins just about everybody’s skin when we have to travel around the city amidst a polar vortex! So why not treat yourself to a nice warm facial at Lia Schorr Skin Care on Lexington Avenue. Schorr is a renowned facial expert who has been rejuvenating winter’s haggard faces for 30-plus years. The spa offers plenty of packages and several different techniques that will surely satisfy every individual’s needs. Some of their services include 70-minute European Deep Pore Cleansing Facials with Extractions and a Seaweed Mask and hot stone massages. Packages vary and start at about $170.
686 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10022
Toll Free: (800) 782-7212
Phone: (212) 486-9670 Fax: (212) 486-9609